Wednesday 27 July 2011

Thistles for dinner


The last globe artichoke is now in flower an past eating, it is rather pretty though with electric blue petals, you can tell they must be related to thistles. There were two other globes that I picked which were rather small but tasty.



It's all about the french beans at the moment, I seem to pick a couple of kilos a week and they keep coming.



I pinched the tops of the plants out which is supposed to make them bushier and produce even more beans.



You can see them lined up here in development, I think they really liked the wet weather. The courgettes have been okay I'm getting about a dozen a week including the patty pan squash but I think they prefer more sunshine.




This patch is where the broad beans were, I cut the plants down and cleared them leaving the roots in the soil. Beans are nitrogen fixing plants and this should be good for whatever I plant here next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment