Sunday 3 July 2011

I struck gold



Having picked the wrong potatoes a couple of weeks ago I thought it was time to try again. So I dug up one plant from the furthest row and confirmed these are the early Charlottes. One plant was about a dozen potatoes weighing in at about 750g, there must be about twenty plants in total if they're all this productive thats more than double last years yield.




I had a healthy looking crop of courgettes still with beautiful flowers on them. There's plenty more to come, I gave the plants a water with a bit of miracle grow to help them on their way. Four plants is a lot more sensible than last year. The green ones are doing best so far. The patty pans have a lot of little squashes on them but they aren't ready to pick yet. The cobnut squash are growing well but show no sign of flowering so far.




The tomatoes have delicate star shaped flowers in bright yellow and some fruits are beginning to form of the plants, I'm not sure how long they'll take to ripen? I gave them a bit of miracle grow to help them along.




It looks like an exotic bloom, I picked a couple more artichokes for dinner. It's a lot of effort to eat them but the taste is something else and you end up with a great pile of leaves left over.




This second one was a bit smaller and looked quite different with pointier leaves. being related to the thistle you have to quite careful handling the artichokes!




I spent a lot of time with my hoe clearing out the weeds, I had rediscovered a fine row of parsnips and a slightly patchy row of beetroot growing between the peas and the squash, in fact a runner from the cobnut squash is growing across both rows from the bottom right. 




Speaking of peas I picked about 2.5Kg unpodded weight of them and there are still more to come.




I also picked the last of the broad beans, the scare on the end of some of them are going black but they still taste good. Some of the bean plants are having a bit of a second flowering so I may get more later in the year.




The view across the plot at the end of the day, probably the fullest and greenest it'll be all year.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alex I finally got round to checking out your crop! fabulous! love the artichoke -beautiful - looks very big too - I love eating them -brings back childhood memories -picking the leaves out and nibbling the end of them which has delicate flesh - dipped in a home made mayonnaise (which my mother made!) the courgettes are lovely too - since I've picked mine -more have appeared and they seem to grow faster - your broad beans are lovely too- mine are also doing well -considering that all my plants are growing in a pot and it's my first year I'm quite pleased :) as for the spuds, magic! C u tomorrow,

    ReplyDelete