Saturday 14 May 2011

Strawberry fields



Well, not quite fields of them but I picked 18 and two others that had already gone over so I threw them away. They're a good size and colour with plenty more to come if the weather stays sunny and the slugs don't find them.




Lots of planting out was the main thing I did today. The courgette and squash plants were looking a little withered in the greenhouse and plenty of other people have put theirs out already so I thought it was time to get them in the soil. Three at the front of the plot in the half row and then five across the plot behind the french beans, let's see which ones do best. The nasturtiums had sprouted as well so I put them out as well.




I went to the garden centre to buy more twine for the peas but they didn't have any and I ended up buying a couple of pea nets instead. I put the first one up already, probably a lot better than using twine to train them anyway. I also bought some more four foot canes for the tomatoes and some basil seeds which I'll plant tomorrow.




The biggest of the artichokes now has four buds growing on it, I wonder if I shouldn't cut a couple of them down to help the others get bigger? I better look it up in my book. The other plants have just one bud each.

No comments:

Post a Comment