Saturday 7 May 2011

Muggy May



Surprisingly humid May weather, we had a good deal of rain last night and the sun has been peeping out from between the clouds this afternoon while I attended to the plot. My very first strawberry has gone red, I didn't pick it yet as it's still a bit unripe on the other side.




Things are growing on well #68, not too many bare patches left and I still have broccoli, cabbages and tomatoes to plant out.




The peas are coming on well so I put out some canes with string pulled across them to give the plants something to hold on to.




The potatoes are looking good. In the bottom right there was a plant that didn't come up so I planted another potato there which is just beginning to come through.




The tomatoes are coming along nicely, still a bit small yet but I hope to plant them out by the end of the month. I went through the greenhouse to see how things were fairing. I've planted out a few more french beans, they're much bigger than the ones which I planted out earlier. I also put three germinated sunflowers in the soil beside my shed, let's see how tall they get.




I had taken this tray out of the greenhouse the other week because I thought nothing was happening with it. Then today I could see little shoots which are unmistakably asparagus plants. I've got no idea where I shall plant them out and it'll be at least another two years before I have any spears to eat.




I collected some herbs before I went home, the thyme is in flower and the lavender has a lot of buds on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment