Sunday 9 October 2011

Purple sprouting pencils



Into October and I've cleared most of the plot for this year. The compost heap is bursting, that's just one nasturtium plant growing around it.




I don't know what's wrong with my broccoli, it looks very pretty and has only just started to sprout but it's hard and woody, like eating a bunch of pencils.




Meanwhile the cabbages are big and plump, which seems a little early but we ate one last night anyway.




Here's my row of parsnips. I won't pick any until after the first frost, the frost is supposed to make the starch in them turn to sugar therefore making them sweeter. You can see the green courgette plant that I still left in, I might get a few more from it yet. The yellow ones had stopped developing and so I pulled them up and put them on the compost.




And here's the view from the other end. The raspberries plants are turning now, I think I'm supposed to cut them right back once they've stopped producing anymore fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment