Monday 17 October 2011

The last courgette



As you can see the cooler nights have finally finished off my last two courgette plants. If you look carefully there's one courgette left at the top. I picked the courgette and then dg up the plants and cleared the ground around them. I bought a few daffodil bulbs and planted them around the plot number sign, they should look pretty come the spring. It'll be time to start planting beans and garlic soon.




Despite the cold I found a strawberry and a handful of raspberries, but I'm pretty sure they'll be the last of the season as well. I cut back some of the raspberry canes, mainly where they were getting in the way. I picked another cabbage and gathered some potatoes and a squash to take home.




The nasturtiums are still in full bloom, I took a dozen flowers to decorate the cobnut squash soup I made for Sunday lunch. The plants won't last long now, my neighbour told me to pick the seeds and pickle them in white vinegar, 'taste better than capers' he told me before adding that i could pick the seeds on his plants too because he doesn't like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment