Saturday 13 August 2011

A tale of two squash



This is a squash from plant one, I've posted a few pictures of it's squash before. They're cobnut squash, a sort of butternut variety. This one looks pretty much as they do on the seed packet and all the others on this plant look the same. I've even picked one although we haven't eaten it yet. I had a second cobnut plant which produced loads of flowers but i didn't see any fruit for ages, then...




This appeared! In fact there are two of them, both already quite big they were hiding in the undergrowth, I found them when picking tomatoes. They are quite a different shape and colour to plant one, the seeds were an F1 hybrid so the fruit should all be the same. I guess I'll have to wait until they're ready to eat before I make any conclusions as to what happened.


Meanwhile it's not yet mid August and I'm already clearing the site. The new potatoes, broad beans and peas are all picked and I've now cleared the respective areas they were growing in. I'm not sure if there's anything I can really plant now that they're gone? It's strange having such gaps when only a few weeks ago I was desperate for space.


I harvested another half dozen courgettes, the plants still seem to be doing well but the patty pan squash have given up. I'm not sure why? I guessed they were pick and come again like the courgettes but perhaps not. I also picked another load of french beans, not as many as the last two weeks but still about 2kg, we still have many to eat. A few more tomatoes were ripe and there are more to come, we haven't had to buy any for a couple of weeks now.

No comments:

Post a Comment