Saturday 27 August 2011

Cabbage patch kids



Cabbages are great. You just put them in the ground and then leave them for ages and they slowly grow. At the top of the plot I planted a row of ten savoy cabbages and ten purple sprouting broccoli, I put a net around them because the birds are quite keen on them and then I left them. Looking over the plot today I could see quite a few weeds growing around them so I lifted the net and weeded. That done I'll now just leave them another three months or so until they're big enough and ready to eat.
I also have a second later row of cabbages which I put about about a month after the first ones. I planted these under a net tunnel which is only a foot high and haven't looked at them since. There were a lot of  weeds around them and these plants seem quit leggy and haven't really balled up yet. I weeded and have left them uncovered for now but I guess I'll have to something about that unless I want shredded cabbage plants and fat birds.
Tomatoes are still doing well but there's the sense that summer is over and the courgettes are slowing down and I picked barely a handful of beans although there are a few more flowers on them. A few raspberries and strawberries are appearing but they're never as exciting as the first of the year. The strawberry plants have put out hundreds of runners and there will be many new plants by next year which is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment