Saturday 9 April 2011

Pea shoots



The peas have started to sprout, they're very tiny as you can see. It's been a warm sunny week and everything is coming on fast including the weeds. A few of the broccoli and cabbage seedlings had been munched by slugs so copious amounts of blue slug pellets have gone down around the greenhouse and some around the strawberries for good measure.
I planted up some courgette and squash seeds today, a little early perhaps but I'll get them going in the greenhouse and not plant them out until at least mid May. After last years courgette madness I've been a little more economic planting two yellow and two green types as well as two patty pan squash, two kobocha and two cobnut squash. I'll see if they all germinate and then decide where to plant them, I might see if I can grow the kobocha over the roof shed!




Another rhubarb harvest, ;ast weeks were delicious and there's enough here for another crumble too. Picking rhubarb is very satisfying, you reach down the stalk to just above the ground then twist and pull, there's a sort of pop as the stalk comes away.
To round things off after much weeding I put in a second row of peas lets hope they sprout in a couple of weeks as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment