Saturday 2 October 2010

Weeding

I choose what was supposed to be the drier day of the weekend to start tidying the plot. Before I had even finished pulling up the kobocha plants it started to rain, and continued on and off with drizzle for the next couple of hours while I was working. There were three more kabocha to pick of the vines and then I found another small one as pulled them up, I've had fourteen in total.
I also picked the very last of the courgettes, the biggest being no more than about 4 inches long. The plants are still flowering but the courgettes have stopped getting any bigger, these ones have been around for a few weeks and I decided to pick them because if left any longer they may start to rot.
Weeding is very boring but it was satisfying to clear the top of the plot, the drizzle made the soil claggy, it weighed down my boots as I worked.  I pulled up the row of fennel, it didn't seem like I was going to get any bulbs to eat and the stems were begining to fall over under their own weight. I forgot to take a picture when I'd finished so this one was only about half way through. 
With the fennel removed you can see the artichoke plants in a row just behind the rhubarb. Next I'll have to pull up the remaining courgette plants and get ready for some new planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment