Sunday 24 October 2010

First frost

We had a heavy frost during the week which finished off the nasturtiums, they looked like a bowl of old spaghetti left left out in the rain. I pulled them up and put them on the compost heap, a lot of seeds fell off the plants which I didn't bother to collect so hopefully I'll have some self sown some plants next year.
The cabbages didn't seem to mind the cold weather and were also enjoying the low sun this morning, they looked quite beautiful with the light shining through their leaves.
I picked some of the bean pods left and and collected their beans ready to plant next year. I planted some garlic and dug over and weeded other parts of the plot especially the herb bed at the top.
Another plant that seems to enjoy the change of season are the artichokes, they've really grown in the past few weeks, I would have thought that they'd prefer a warmer climate.
The rhubarb is dying back so I've given it a good fork full of manure to feed it through the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment