Monday 3 May 2010

Wet & windy

A rare sunny spell on Bank Holiday Monday as it has mostly been showers and quite a stiff breeze. I'm slightly concerned about the shed, it creaks a lot when the wind blows and the roof moves quite a bit I'm going to have to look at how it's fixed on and perhaps improve it. This was just a gusty day in spring, I'm sure a winter storm would send the roof flying.
Between showers I did a bit of planting. I bought some kobocha seeds online, a type of hybrid winter squash, I planted them in 3 inch pots and put them in the greenhouse. It really is warmer in there and some of the seeds I planted last week were beginning to stir which is remarkable. I also bought some asparagus and globe artichoke seeds online, I planted the artichoke seeds direct into the ground near the top of the plot on what was the old path, the ground isn't the best here but lets see what happens. The asparagus I'll be planting later in the month but this is a bit of a long term plan as it'll be a couple of years before I get to eat any!
I've given up on the early carrots I planted so I've sown a new row and hope that now it's warmer they'll do better, I also put in a row of turnips.
Here are the broad beans (and a few weeds).

No comments:

Post a Comment