Monday 31 May 2010

Mostly weeding

I seem to have spent the last two days mostly weeding, but I'm really happy with how it's all looking now. The down side to a fully weeded plot is that the weeds will grow back and I might have weeded out the turnips and carrots, I say might because I didn't see any but they've been in the ground ages now without any signs of germination.
Along the top of the plot where I planted the herb seeds I weeded very carefully, I found about enough parsley for a small garnish and what might be a bit of sage but couldn't see anything else. I mage a trip to the garden centre and bout some slightly larger herb plants, I now have tiny examples of parsley, sage, oregano, rosemary, thyme and lavender - I hope they settle in and grow a bit.
As you can see in the picture above I bought a net for some of the strawberries, it's three metres long but doesn't actually cover a whole row, I thought it was worth getting because the first strawberries that I had mysteriously seem to have disappeared.

The potatoes see to have made a full recovery from the frost now, with lots of healthy looking new growth.
The white sticks to the right of the spuds  in the picture mark out the artichokes just about all of which have germinated, who knows if I'll ever get any globes.

I planted a third of a row of radishes having picked the last of the first lot last week, this time I'm going to try and delay the crop so they aren't all ready at once. SimilarlyI planted a third of a row of lettuce and a third of a row of rocket, these were both from free seeds that I picked up at work. Other free seeds I got were for basil so I planted some in pots and put them in the greenhouse.
The french beans I in the greenhouse really needed planting out so I also got some bamboo canes from the garden centre and made a little wigwam for them, the wigwam has seven canes and I had eight plants but two were rather small so I planted them out on the same cane, lets see what happens.
The courgettes that I planted out are now looking a lot happier, when i first put them in the ground they all seemed to wilt a bit and some of their leave got a bit scorched where I'd watered them but now they have new growth, I still have five other plants in the greenhouse and along with the three kobocha I had another one has germinated, I'll be able to plant them out soon as well.
I also planted out ten of my savoy cabbages, they don't seem very cabbage like yet as they are rather long and stringy, at what point do they ball up? In the germination tray I have about three hundred, so I've thinned them right back and kept them in reserve if this first lot don't make it, they didn't seem to like being transplanted too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment