Sunday 6 June 2010

Slim pickings

A bit of a gap in the harvesting since I planted the salad a bit late and I've already eaten all the first crop of radishes. The broad beans are beginning to pod now so I as my books suggest I pinched out the tops of the plants, this provided quite a lot of greens, I cooked half last night after washing with just a knob of butter, they do taste like beans with a spinichy sort of texture, unusual but nice.
The net is working on the strawberries, I only picked about a dozen but they're the first to ripen with out the fruit vanishing, all the other plants out of the net are without a single berry.
Also I made a few small cuts from the various herbs I have growing, none of the plants are that big yet but I think it's good to crop them carefully anyway to encourage new growth.
The intense heat yesterday had made the few remaining courgettes in the greenhouse wilt quite badly, I decided to plant them out and see what happens, a good drink perked them up a bit and I guess last nights rain must have helped as well. I also decided to plant out the kobocha the four plants that germinated are looking healthy and have a bout six leaves now, and I was worried about how hot it was getting in the greenhouse for them.
The fruit is beginning to form on the raspberries so I think I'll have to cover them as well soon if I'm going to be able to pick any. In a couple of weeks I hope to be eating those broad beans as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment