Monday 21 June 2010

Midsummer madness

Here's the view at plot 68, really nice to see things filling out a bit and beginning to grow up a bit. The courgettes in front of the shed have done the best and they're the ones that get more shade in the afternoon. The french beans are winding their way up the canes and you should see the size of my onions!
The raspberry net is a success, a few dozen I've picked this evening which will be great with some ice cream. You may notice in the top picture that the strawberry net has moved, it's now a salad net. If you look back a couple of posts you'll see how well the early salad was doing, that was before the birds and slugs had found it. This is how it looks now, I hope a few slug pellets and the net will help it re-establish itself, I've ordered a couple more nets online but the strawberries are over now anyway.
The cabbages have also proved irresistible to all the pests, I do still have some more in the greenhouse growing in pots, I might have to replace the ones in the ground, or maybe I'll just plant the others out and see which ones survive. This is one of the the most eaten examples!
I'm very proud of my french beans, they learnt how to climb up the bamboo all by themselves. I've been giving everything a good water in this warm weather, the soil gets dry very quickly because it's so sandy.
I'm going to need to do a weeding soon, they never seem to give up and there are all sorts of strange things coming up all over the plot. Finally here's a picture from the other end of the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment