Tuesday 27 April 2010

Hanging with my hoe

A Tuesday night visit, I wanted to check how the seeds in the green house were and see what else might need watering with this wonderful weather. It turns out the seedlings are still plenty damp enough which is good news, the greenhouse had condensation on the inside which is also good as it proves how much warmer it must be in there.
Before I watered some of the things on the plot I decided to get out my hoe. I'd never actually used a hoe before and didn't really know how exactly to use one until I saw them using one on Gardeners World last week. It turns out of course that it's very simple, and also works really well. I'd soon gone over  a large area pushing up the weeds and I hope with this weather they will dry out and die, it's very satisfying as it leaves the earth looking clear and neat, the robin was loving it and Mrs blackbird popped by for dinner too.
Then I watered, there is a hand pump two plots away I noticed that someone had painted the number 21 on top of it, it turns out that this is exactly how many times you need to pump the handle to fill a two gallon watering can. Above you can see the radishes after being watered and below is a strawberry plant, they're all in flower so I hope I'll get a few strawberries later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment