Sunday 21 March 2010

What a difference a day makes

A few more daffodils in bloom

A day later and a bit more sunshine and spring has sprung a little bit more as you can see.
A warm sunny afternoon so I planted some seed tapes - The seed tapes have ready spaced seeds on them so although I'll have to thin them a bit it'll be much easier than hand sown seeds. They were also very easy for planting, just make a shallow trench, roll out the seeds and cover them over. Today I've plant parsnips, radishes, leeks and perpetual spinach, they all came in 5m long tapes which is just short of one row on my plot, in fact the parsnips did fill a whole row either they were a longer 5m or the plot narrows at that point.
I also planted out some garlic cloves to finish off the onion set rows from yesterday, I just used a regular shop bought head of garlic split up - as the Vegetable And Herb Expert book suggests, it goes on to warn you about using your garlic very sparingly 'or you'll be put off forever', rubbing a salad bowl with one clove then discarding it is apparently enough to start with 'then if you have lost a little of your garlic fear, you can try using crushed garlic on meat as the Continentals do.'

2 comments:

  1. I have heard that Garlic is indeed a very powerful vegetable. I advise extreme caution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic sounds abit frightening!

    ReplyDelete