Sunday 30 January 2011

Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb



I got to the plot this morning to discover that something (my bet is pigeons) have been attacking my cabbages. It's my fault for uncovering them a couple of weeks ago, the outer leaves have all been striped giving them frilly edges. As there were only six left I picked them all.



By the time I'd lost the nibbled outer leaves the cabbages were a lot smaller, I should think we could eat three in one meal!



Walking by the communal compost heap I spied the familiar pink buds you get on sprouting rhubarb. On closer inspection it seemed someone had thrown away a lot of their old rhubarb roots, I didn't want it to go to waste so I got a wheel barrow and took it around to my plot.




I planted four big pieces of rhubarb in line with the two I had left from last year, I'm not sure I'll harvest anything from this year although they are already beginning to grow leaves. When I was digging the soil my spade hit something solid so I cleared the earth to see what it was. There was a great big iron bar in the ground, it took me about half an hour to dig it out, I wonder what it had been used for?

No comments:

Post a Comment