Saturday 7 August 2010

The one that got away


It looks like a courgette but that tiny thing on the right is a courgette with the flower still on the end of it. This monster must be about two foot long, I'm not sure how I missed it before but it seems I did. I've left it growing because it was too heavy to bring back home with me. Next Sunday there's a barbeque at the allotment and I think they have a heaviest vegetable competition, I'll let you know how it goes.
The last of my earlies. There's just over 2kg of spuds which means I got about 6kg from the row, not too much but we haven't finished the ones I picked from last week end yet. All in all about right considering the late frost in May that nearly wiped them out. Despite all the rain we've had today the soil was quite dry just a few inches down, it's raining heavily again now I'm back which will help.
This is the view from inside the shed when it was raining, I sheltered inside and listened to the radio until it let up. I picked another two tubs of french beans once it stopped, there aren't too many left now but that makes it about 3kg from those plants so far, I'll plant more next year as they've been so good. The bird on the stick in the background is a plastic owl, my neighbour has it on his plot, I'm not sure why because it doesn't frighten anything away that I've noticed.
This is the basil plant I grew from seed, I didn't think to take a picture of it until I had harvested some leaves for the second time so it's looking a little sad here. It probably would have been easier to just buy a plant from the supermarket but the seeds were free. According to Culpeppers hebal smelling basil too much will breed scorpions in the brain!

No comments:

Post a Comment