Saturday 28 August 2010

Desiree


Look at my pink potatoes! All these came from a tiny patch so I should think I'm going to have many more to dig up. These are my main crop Desiree potatoes, apparently the variety has only existed since 1962 and originates in the Netherlands. Their pink colour looks good against the still a bit damp dark black earth.
The screen on my camera seems to be on the blink (just what I ned before going away) so most of these pictures really were point and shoot. I picked quite a few of the small plum tomatoes but the big beefy ones are still green. After all the rain we've had a lot of the tomatoes have split as well, they don't look too good I think I'll stick to smaller ones next year.
Six kobochas in the shed and there's another one at home, I'll soon be able to start eating them and there are yet more ripening in the pumpkin patch. The marrow is still in the shed, it seems quite happy there but I don't know what I'm going to do with it? I picked another thirty or so courgettes today, I hadn't been to the plot since last Saturday because of all the rain and predictably some of the courgettes were pretty big already. I do hope Nicole manages to pick a few while I'm away.
This is the flower head on the fennel, the plants are about 1metre high, they seem to have enjoyed the rain and having the earth piled around their bases, I'm not sure if I was supposed to let them flower or not, but it's too late now!
The nasturtiums have gone crazy in the last week, they're bushes now rather than little plants. I rather like the flowers in a salad but they are very peppery.

No comments:

Post a Comment