Sunday 1 August 2010

Kobocha comin' atcha


I've picked my first kobocha of the season. I'm not actually sure when they're supposed to be ready but the one on the right seemed big enough so I cut it off the vine and will eat it later. The packet the seeds came in said to harvest them when they were about 1kg, mine is 1.25Kg. There are a couple of others just as big and about seven more that are beginning to to swell. According to Wikipedia Kobocha is a Japanese variety winter squash that is revered as an aphrodisiac by some cultures! Wikipedia also says that you have to leave the Kobocha for 13 days in the warm and them a month in a cool place for it to ripen properly after it has been picked, they apparently last for up to three months.
In the green house I have a tray of lettuce and a try of rocket, it seems quite happy and growing well so I think I'll leave where it is and harvest as required.
A view across plot 68 from the bottom corner. On top of the old tool box you can see the kobocha and some of the thirty courgettes I picked. The french beans are going crazy too, I picked a couple of tubs of them and there are many more to come. I've now dug up about two thirds of my early potatoes, not a huge yield but as we don't eat them that often it's just as well.
And the view from the other end of the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment