Sunday 4 July 2010

'Gette powered

They're getting even bigger, the first row of courgettes has now over shadowed the leeks, I'm not sure why this row is so much bigger? The four green courgette plants grew biggest first but the yellow ones in this row are much bigger than their cousins in row two. My neighbour told me that he had a recipe for 'Marrow Brandy' that he was given by a gypsy woman that I could have, it's powerful stuff apparently. I think I'll stick to eating the flowers and courgettes, while googling for courgette flower recipes I found a site that sell the flowers, a box of 15 blooms cost £46! i guess at that rate we ate about £100 worth last week.
Row two is also producing courgettes already and I picked about twenty yesterday although some are still quite small. I needed to pick what I could because I'll be away all week from Monday. I also picked most of the first row of radishes (about twenty), a good selection of herbs, a tub of salad and about two kilos of broad beans! I had hoped to pick all the beans left but there were more than I thought, I put two tubs full into the freezer and nearly another tub in the fridge and their are still more that need picking. I thought it best to leave them now until next week, I hope they don't go too hard.
Row three of courgettes were the left overs that were planted slightly later, they're not so big yet but do have some flowers on them and I expect by next week some courgettes, next to them in the row are the tomato plants I was given. I bought some canes at the garden centre for them, in the shop the woman gave me a funny look when I asked for my 10% discount on them and some ties as it was only 46 pence off.
The french beans have also gone into flower, they've wound their way nearly to the top of the canes and are also finding purchase on the nearby chair. The kobatcha plants are also doing well in this warm weather, they've begun to spread sending out long arms from the central plants, one of which is doing it's best to climb up the netting for the raspberries.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that Runner Beans always grow anti-clockwise? Is it the same for the French Beans??

    ReplyDelete