Sunday 25 July 2010

Bean and gone


The broad beans have had their day so I've uprooted them because they were becoming messy and attracting black fly. I won't starve as their are two tubs of the beans in the freezer and now the French beans are ready for harvest.
I've picked a couple of tubs of these and their are many more yet to ripen, I'll be eating some tonight along with the courgette moussaka that I've made (yes I'm getting ever more inventive with those courgettes).
I've struck gold! My early potato plants were never very big and have now withered to almost nothing but the magic happens when you stick the fork in the ground and up come spuds, more and more with each turn of the soil.
My tomatoes are getting bigger but are staying green, it seems I have two different types. The ones above are like beef tomatoes and are already quite big and the other type is more like a plum tomato, they smell wonderful, I just wish they'd hurry up and change colour. Tomatoes are one of the few vegetables that I've had to buy over the last couple of weeks.
I put the 20 pence coin in this shot to give a better idea of the size of this kobocha, I've probably got about twenty of them although only a couple are this size so far. I've only ever had kobocha from the supermarket where they were dark green and knobbly I'm not sure if this will happen to these or not as I have no growing instructions, better try googling it!


The harvest festival shot, and most of the vegetables I'll eat this week. The courgette plants have slowed down slightly since last week but I don't think I'll starve.

No comments:

Post a Comment