Saturday 25 August 2012

More veg


This is the mid week crop of courgettes, I'd guess around 4kg. I'm having to give them away now, the novelty of yellow courgettes delights most people who don't grow them. Next year I'll have to plant out only a couple of plants because the quantities are getting silly, certainly another 2kg picked today.


Here are some purple beans. I'm picking them twice a week as well along with the green and yellow ones. The purple have done well although the green are the best for size shape and quantity. I don't think I'll bother with the yellow next year.


The green ones fruit in great big bunches, I probably picked another 2kg of tricoloured beans mid week and about the same today.


My first ever cucumber! not bad in length if a little thin. I wasn't sure how much more it'd grow so I decided to pick it, haven't tasted it yet. Really these are rather difficult to grow without a greenhouse.


The nasturtiums on the compost heap are looking marvellous this year. I planted one but the other have come through from last years seeds.


Just two tomatoes. I'll probably get some more but many of the plants have blight so I'm not sure if they'll ripen.


I'd left a couple of artichokes that were too small and they have now bloomed, The colour of the flowers is most vivid, I'm surprised you don't see them in more gardens.


My squash are swelling which is good. I counted about eight so far, this one is the biggest at about 30cm long already.


This pair are getting bigger too. The plants like to trail southwards so next year I must remember to plant them at the top of the plot by the rhubarb.


Then the heavens opened and we had thunder and lightning. Behind the hollyhock you can see the leeks are almost underwater.


The pathways are trodden a little lower than the plot and turned into streams. After a failed attempt to leave I took a second go when there was a break in the rain and got home without getting completely drenched.

No comments:

Post a Comment