Sunday 19 September 2010

Has bean

The french beans have put on a little extra spurt of growth with new flowers and beans ripening. The lower parts to the plants seem well spent now with the leaves either turning yellow or having already fallen off. I only picked a hand full but it looks like there are more to come depending on the weather. Courgette production has now stopped, only picked about eight tiddlers this week, they were forming last week but don't seem to develop any further, I guess it got too cold for them.
A clear path where the potatoes once grew, the weedy bit on the right is where the last of my desiree are hidden, it's good to tidy up a bit and I'll be able to plant broad beans here in the next couple of weeks ready for next year.
My cabbages are starting to form heads I think, I love the wrinkly leaves on a savoy cabbage I do hope they grow as it's taken a lot of time and care to get them to this stage and they only cost 78 pence in the supermarket! Something that hasn't worked that well is the fennel, I thought it was doing really well but although it's grown about five feet tall and flowered it doesn't seem to be forming bulbs that could be eaten, I'm also told it has really deep roots and is very difficult to get rid of it once it has settled in.


The rhubarb plants are looking much better now, I hope they're storing up some energy to produce long pink stalks for me in the new year, I'm looking forward to that crumble!

No comments:

Post a Comment