Sunday 15 July 2012

St Swithin's day


After the wettest week in the wettest July on record we reach St Swithin's day and remarkably it hasn't so far rained. It might be a bit too late for my harvest this season though. I picked a few tiny courgettes and dug up some little potatoes. French beans are beginning to form but I don't expect anything like last years bags full of beans. If we don't have a few more sunny days I fear there won't be many tomatoes or squash come august.


A couple more artichokes for dinner, they have done surprisingly well despite the cooler temperatures and rain. There were about a dozen ripe pea pods which I picked, the peas as sweet as anything but not enough to make a meal with so I just ate them raw. Not much else going on, I got out the strimmer and cut the grass in the process of which I chopped down one of my violette french bean plants. Oh dear! even less chance of a bmper crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment