Saturday 19 May 2012

Snails



Even the plot sign has snails on it at the moment. Along with the slugs they're munching anything they can, slug pellets are killing so many around the green house that the ground crunches with shells when I walk on it.




The plot is just starting to fill out a bit but I'm at least two weeks behind last year due to the weather. I put up the canes for the french beans, there's a gap on the right where the soil is too thin to plant above a concrete drain.




I planted out six of each of the three varieties of climbing beans. Violette, yellow and green. This leaves a dozen post still needing a plant, I have many more but didn't want to put them all out at once.




Looking down the canes. A few more peas have come up but I still don't really have a decent row of them.




Parsnips have just grown a bit, it's always good to see the true leaves then you know what is what when weeding.




I was eating strawberries at this time in 2011, I just have my first fruits forming this year.




There are a lot of flowers though so I hope to get a bumper crop unless the slug get there first. The rhubarb is also going mad, I've picked so much I might have to freeze some.




The first few pods are showing on the broad bean plants. I picked the growing tops off of them today and will have them for dinner.




The potatoes seem quite content, even the 'missing' one is beginning to come through.

No comments:

Post a Comment