Sunday 19 February 2012

The hole story



The broad beans have made a slight recovery, in fact a better recovery that I thought they would. The cold wind and frost has damaged them, some of the plants that fell have not stood up again but most are battling on. I'm sure the damage wouldn't have been so bad if the first part of the winter had been so mild.


A closer inspection shows how the fallen stems have rotten but the plants are still growing so we should get beans from them I hope.


 If we don't my back-up plan has been put into action. I dug up my parsnips and prepared the soil for some new beans. Digging is hard work but dibbing the soil and dropping in beans is the fun part. I planted a mix of Masteriece Longpod and Aquadulce  again, lets see how long they take to catch up their sister plants.


Making the zig-zag pattern is very satisfying and will help the plants support themselves when the grow.


I had decided to dig up the remaining parsnips, this years crop had been disappointingly small and with their foliage going down I doubted they would get any bigger. As you can see above most were as small as I thought, not really big enough to bother eating. I think the dry spring last year was to blame, they never really got going until too late.


But as always the garden surprised me. There were about a dozen bigger parsnips as well which I've taken home to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment